News & insights
Syria: Online Search Possible
January 23, 2013
Search for published or granted patents in Syria is now possible online, noting that it can only be performed in Arabic. The search can be conducted by using multiple fields such as claimed priority, applicant, inventor and international classification. The result of the search will disclose two fields: The inventor’s name and the title of the invention. Given that this automated system is still new, the scope of this search can not be considered accurate and exhaustive for the time being.
For your information, a new patent law in Syria (Law no. 18 of 2012) was issued on March 30, 2012.
The salient features of the law are as follows:
– The term of protection is extended to 20 years from filing date instead of 15 years as per the previous Law.
– Examination is possible as to novelty, inventive step and industrial applicability.
– A maintenance fee is due annually on the anniversary of the filing date and is payable before the granting of the patent. There is a 6-month grace period for late payment with a surcharge.
– Patents of Addition are admissible.
– Patent applications accepted by the Registrar are published in the Official Gazette. Oppositions may be filed within 6 months from publication date.
– A patent has to be worked. If the patent is not being fully exploited by the patentee within 4 years from filing date or 3 years from the date of grant, the patent will be subject to compulsory licensing under the provisions of the law.
Should you have any specific inquiries regarding the subject matter, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org