News & insights
Recordals Going Paperless at the TMO in Kuwait
March 10, 2021
Given the recent trend in going paperless in the member states of the Gulf Cooperation Council, the Trademark Office in Kuwait announced the upcoming activation of the online recordal system.
Once fully operational, applicants will be able to submit applications for recordal via the online platform. For the time being, however, the TMO is only accepting the electronic submission of recordals of assignment, merger, and change of name and address.
In light of this update, it is also worth mentioning that the TMO will be issuing e-certificates of recordal in lieu of the obsolete paper copies.
Trademark Protection Framework in Kuwait:
- Classification: 10th edition – single class application. Class 33, alcoholic goods in class 32, and pork meat in class 29 cannot be registered
- Examination: On formal, absolute, and relative grounds
- Opposition: 60 days from last publication date
- Protection Term: 10 years from filing date and renewable for like periods
- Use: Vulnerable to cancellation if mark has not been used for 5 consecutive years from filing
- Filing Requirements: POA, legalized, copy of certificate of incorporation or extract from the commercial register, and certified copy of priority document, if priority is claimed. POA must be submitted at the time of filing and priority document may be submitted within 3 months from filing date
Should you have any questions, or require additional information, please contact us email@example.com