News & insights
Publish or Perish: Publication of Trademarks Resumed in Libya
September 29, 2020
After a long respite, the Trademark Office (TMO) in Libya has resumed the publication of trademarks in the Official Gazette, with the inaugural issue being published on September 23, 2020.
The first issue of the Official Gazette listed over 200 trademarks that were published for opposition. Any party who believes it may be damaged by registration of the mark has three months from the publication date to file an opposition. It is worth noting that requests to extend the time to oppose are not allowed in Libya.
Trademark Protection Framework in Libya
- Classification: 8th edition – single class application. Class 33, alcoholic goods in class 32, pork meat in class 29, and Christmas trees and related products in class 28 cannot be registered
- Search: Possible for word and device marks
- Examination: On formal, absolute, and relative grounds
- Opposition: 3 months from publication date
- Protection Term: 10 years from filing date and renewable for like periods
- Use: Vulnerable to cancellation if mark has not been used for 5 years from registration date
Should you have any questions, or require any additional information, please contact us email@example.com