News & insights
Procedural Change for Submission of POA in the UAE
April 12, 2021
The Trademark Office in the United Arab Emirates (TMO) announced that the legalized power of attorney (POA) may be submitted within 30 days from filing date.
Prior to this procedural change, the POA had to be submitted to the TMO at the time of filing. Oppositions and appeals are excluded from this update, however, and the POA must be filed upon submission.
As for the priority claim, no changes were made to the deadline. Priority documents in support of trademark applications may be submitted within a non-extendable period of three months from filing date.
Trademark Protection Framework in the UAE:
- Classification: 10th edition – single class application. Class 33, alcoholic goods in class 32, and pork meat in class 29 cannot be registered
- Examination: On formal, absolute, and relative grounds
- Opposition: 30 days from last publication date
- Protection Term: 10 years from filing date and renewable for like periods
- Use: Vulnerable to cancellation if mark has not been used for 5 consecutive years
- Filing Requirements: POA, legalized and certified copy of priority document, if priority is claimed