News & insights
Nice Classification: 11th Edition
January 24, 2017
The latest edition of the Nice Classification (11th edition) entered into force on January 1, 2017. Amendments cover 15 class headings and explanatory notes for seven classes. Furthermore, the list of goods and services was extended by 334 terms.
The 11th Edition will be applied to all international trademark applications and registrations received by an Office of Origin on and after January 1, 2017. If a renewal or a request for any other changes in relation to an international registration is filed with WIPO after December 31, 2016, the list of goods and services of the international registration will not be subject to reclassification under the 11th Edition.
It is worth noting that the Trademark Offices in Algeria, Cyprus, and Jordan already adopted the 11th Edition of the Nice Classification and are now ready to serve applications for goods and services in the said classes. Other Trademark Offices in the Middle East and North Africa have still not announced the adoption of the 11th Edition, however.
Major revisions in the 11th edition include:
- Class headings affected by current revisions are those numbered 3, 6, 10, 14, 16, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22, 24, 26, 28, 31 and 45
- All serving utensils are grouped under class 21 instead of class 8
- The addition of unlocking of mobile phones under class 42
- The addition of dog walking, kimono dressing assistance, and conducting religious ceremonies under class 45
- The addition of eyelash brushes and foam toe separators for use in pedicures under class 21
- The addition of herbal extracts for cosmetic purposes under class 3
- The addition of herbal extracts and physiotherapy preparations for medical purposes under class 5
- The addition of body composition monitors under class 10
- The addition of several new goods under classes 29 and 30, including guacamole, onion rings, falafel, bibimbap, dulce de leche, almond, peanut and coconut milks, as well as nut- and chocolate-based spreads. Escamoles (prepared edible ant larvae) and edible insects have also been added under classes 29 and 31
Should you have any questions, or require any additional information, please contact us at email@example.com