News & insights
2008 in Playback
December 15, 2008
– The Berne Convention enters into force in Yemen.
– The Brussels Convention enters into force in Oman.
– The Budapest Treaty, the Nice Agreement, and the Vienna Agreement enter into force inJordan.
– The Hague Agreement enters into force in Syria.
– The Hague Agreement enters into force in the OAPI.
– Bahrain starts accepting PCT applications entering into the national phase.
– Jordan and Kuwait start accepting service mark applications in classes 43, 44, and 45.
– The WIPO Copyright Treaty and the WIPO Performances and Phonograms Treaty enter in to force in Turkey.
– Ethiopia drops the legalization requirement for all documents filed at the Trademark Office except for the power of attorney.
– Kuwait begins examination of industrial design applications.
– Iran approves a new trademark, patent, and industrial design law, which contains provisions on the registration and maintenance of designs for the first time in the country.
– Oman approves a new Industrial property Law and a new Copyright Law.
– Syria waives the requirement for the Boycott of Israel Declaration for all new filings of national trademark, patent, and industrial design applications.
– Iraq modifies its local sub-classification of goods and services with updates mainly involving headings of classes 35 and 42.
– India begins conducting device searches.
– Jordan establishes an Intellectual Property Rights Law Enforcement Office.
– Saudi Arabia approves the bylaws of a newly-established Saudi Consumer Protection Association.
– Iraq issues the first certificates of registration for trademarks that have been pending due to the Israeli Boycott issue.
– OAPI adopts the 9th edition of the Nice Classification.
Should you have any questions, or require any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org